At Washington Periodontics, we offer tooth extractions in a safe and relaxing environment. If you need a tooth extracted for any reason, please contact our office.
There are two main types of tooth extraction: simple and surgical.
Simple tooth extractions are performed on teeth that are visible and easily accessible.
Surgical tooth extractions are performed on teeth that are not easily accessible or compromised. They're usually performed by a Periodontist.
Our team at Washington Periodontics is experienced in performing all types of tooth extractions, and we will ensure that dental extraction is necessary and beneficial for your smile.
There are a few benefits of tooth extractions, including:
Having a tooth pulled and losing natural teeth is not something anyone looks forward to, but sometimes it is a necessary procedure. Our Washington Periodontics team will ensure that tooth extraction is the best option for you and that the procedure is performed flawlessly. If you suffer from dental anxiety, we offer sedation options to ensure you are comfortable.
• Do NOT rinse or spit today.
• Do NOT smoke or consume alcohol.
• AVOID extremely hot foods and drinks until the anesthetics wears off.
• AVOID foods that are hard, spicy or salty as it may irritate the surgical site. (Examples include: Nuts, Pretzels, Chips, Tomato Sauces, Salsa)
• Stay away from the surgical area! Do not do ANYTHING to place tension on the area including pulling up or down on the lip to see the treated area.
• MEDICATION- Be sure to take ALL of the pills as directed. You are required to finish ALL of the antibiotics to achieve the most ideal results. If you have any unwanted side effects, please call our office.
• Apply an ICEPACK to the area to minimize swelling, 10 minutes on and 10 minutes off ONLY for today.
• Starting TOMORROW, you have the option to rinse gently and frequently with warm water and ½ teaspoon of salt.
• It is important to keep your mouth CLEAN. Brush and floss the teeth well, but NOT on the treated area or the adjacent teeth.
• The days following the surgery use the BLUE SOLUTION with a clean moistened Q-tip to CLEAN the TREATED area 2-3 x/day until the follow up visit.
How will this change your eating habits?
• Eat on the opposite side.
• Eat all of your foods with a fork or spoon. If treated area is in the front/anterior of your mouth do NOT bite into ANY foods such as sandwiches, apples, or hard crusty bread. What should you expect after surgery?
• Bruising/Swelling is normal for any surgical procedure, although not usually seen.
• If bleeding occurs – DO NOT RINSE. Wet a tea bag and place in the surgical area for 10 minutes. If bleeding does not subside after, call the office immediately.
Sinus Lift/ Elevation
NO hard nose blowing or sniffing for TWO weeks. Try sleeping on an extra pillow to keep your head elevated. If instructed, use nasal spray or decongestant as directed. No flying for 4 weeks.